If you’re into the idea of a healthy diet, huddle up and listen in. Chlorophyll is where it’s at. The Living Food Kitchen gives you a little introduction to this god of greens:
What is chlorophyll?
Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in leafy, green plants, algae and vegetables. It is vital for photosynthesis, which converts sunshine into energy. Interestingly, its molecular structure is very similar to that of haemoglobin, the red protein responsible for transporting oxygen in our blood.
Which foods contain chlorophyll?
Chlorophyll is most abundant in:
- Dark, leafy vegetables such as spinach, garden cress, kale and chard
- Fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander and dill
- Edible algae
- Matcha whole leaf green tea
Why should I be eating chlorophyll?
The health benefits of chlorophyll are beautifully abundant. It’s like a magic elixir in the form of vegetables so it’s easy to get your hands on. However, prolonged cooking tends to damage chlorophyll, so we recommend you eat your green, chlorophyll-filled veg raw or steam them only briefly. Here are 6 of chlorophyll’s nutritional benefits:
- Detoxifying qualities: According to research, chlorophyll may help to detoxify the liver. What’s more, it can help the body get rid of toxins that aid in the growth of cancer.
- Healing qualities: Chlorophyll is said to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Builds blood: Some believe chlorophyll may help to increase both the quantity and quality of red blood cells, thereby improving how effectively oxygen gets transported through your body.
- Antioxidant qualities: Chlorophyll is packed with antioxidants, which protect cells from oxidative damage by eliminating free radicals.
- Natural deodorizer: Some studies show that chlorophyll taken orally may reduce both body odour and bad breath.
- Aids strong bones: Due to its high magnesium content, chlorophyll contributes to healthy bones and helps your muscles contract, relax and remain strong.
Although available as supplements in liquid formats, we highly recommend gobbling this god of greens in its pure natural state as this means you get all the health benefits, but zero side effects.